Historic Villages and Town Districts
Located in northwest corner of state in Sussex County, origins date to 1832 construction of grist mill by local farmer Abram Gris along the newly-completed Columbia-Walpack Turnpike where it crossed stream known as "Van Campens Mill Brook." By 1875, village reached peak of 75 inhabitants and about 19 major buildings. From 1880 onward, population declined along with other rural villages. Garis mill closed around 1900, and by 1950, blacksmith only remaining business in town. In 1960's and 1970s, National Park Service, in preparation for potential construction of Tocks Island Dam on Delaware, relocated some buildings to higher ground at Millbrook, with some replacing original buildings that had been demolished. Village today has about same number of buildings as in 1900. On summer weekends, several buildings including museum, hotel, grist mill and church open to public, volunteers from Millbrook Village Society demonstrate crafts of era, including woodworking, weaving, basket-making.
Area first settled in 1750s with commerce centered around construction of grist mills on South Branch of Raritan River, later served as stop on cross-New Jersey route from Elizabethtown to Delaware River. Other businesses included limestone quarries, tannery and surrounding farms. Town of Clinton incorporated 1865, branch line of Lehigh Valley Railroad completed 1881 into town. Clinton House Hotel across the road. Town devastated by fire in 1891, rebuilt 1890s-1920s with Victorian shops and homes largely remaining today, Red Mill, on west bank of Raritan, now privately-owned Historical Museum and Dunham's stone mill on east bank now Hunterdon Art Center. Clinton House restaurant dates from tavern and stage coach stop opened 1830. Center of town added to National Register of Historic Places in 1995.
40-acre site on Tuckerton Creek re-creation of marine village with 17 historic and re-created buildings connected by boardwalk and wetlands nature trail features two houseboats, duck decoy workshops and gallery, working boatworks building, historic marine railway, decoy carving workshops and recreated Tucker’s Island Lighthouse. Formerly known as Barnegat Bay Decoy and Baymen’s Museum, also home to Jersey Shore Folklife Center which researches and preserves traditions of Jersey Shore and Pinelands. Volunteers demonstrate work of decoy carvers, boat builders, basket makers, quilters, commercial fishermen, artists and other baymen and women. Programs include workshops, tours and classes taught by Jersey Shore artists. Tucker’s Island Lighthouse exhibits on privateers and pirates of Jersey Coast, founding of US Life Saving Service and local shipwrecks. Jacques Cousteau National Estuarine Research Reserve Interpretive Center housed in Tuckerton Yacht Club at seaport, managed by Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences of Rutgers, conducts scientific research and hosts education and interpretive programs. Operated by nonprofit Tuckerton Seaport, Inc.
Historic Village in eastern Pinelands originally a cranberry farm and packing plant established in mid-19th century by Double Trouble Company formed to sell timber, millwork products, and cranberries. Became one of state's largest cranberry producers. Village consists of 200 acres of cranberry bogs, cedar forest and fourteen restored historic structures dating from late 19th through early 20th century including sawmill, cranberry sorting and packing house, general store, cook house, schoolhouse and worker houses. Purchased by state of New Jersey in 1964, placed on state Register of Historic Places in 1977 and on National Register in 1978. Guided village tours, including exhibits inside restored sawmill and cranberry packing house, may be arranged through interpretive center.