Trent House built circa 1719 by William Trent. Image: State of NJ/City of Trenton
1702 - Provinces of East and West Jersey again combined into one colony, with New Jersey sharing governor with New York. The respective provincial capitals of Perth Amboy and Burlington continue as seats of government for the united colony's eastern and western divisions.
- Edward Hyde, Lord Cornbury, who had been appointed in previous year by King William as governor of New York, has his duties expanded to include serving as first Royal governor of New Jersey.
1707 - New Jersey Assembly petitions Queen Anne seeking replacement of Lord Cornbury, alleging arbitrary administration by the Governor and that he had been corrupted by bribes and favors from the "Cornbury Ring," whom he rewarded with land grants.
- William Trent founds village called "Trent's Towne," which became the state capital of Trenton in 1790.
1708 - John Lovelace, the Baron of Hurley, is appointed Royal governor of both New York and New Jersey, replacing Lord Cornbury. In New Jersey, Governor Lovelace supports prosecutions of key members of the "Cornbury Ring."
1728 - A census of the colony reports a population of 32,442, including 2,581 slaves.
1738 - Lewis Morris named as first Royal governor to solely administer New Jersey, ending period of shared governorship with New York, serves until his death in 1746.
1746 - The College of New Jersey (later Princeton University) is founded in Elizabethtown as a school to educate Presbyterian clergy, relocates to Newark in next year and moves to Princeton in 1756.
1747 - Jonathan Belcher, who previously had served as governor of both the Massachusetts and New Hampshire colonies, is appointed governor and serves until his death in 1757. He unsuccessfully attempts to mediate widespread disputes on land titles between land owners, who controlled the Provincial Council, and farmers and tenants, who controlled the assembly. Belcher rejects pressure from Quakers and Anglicans to revoke the charter of the College of New Jersey, but expands its board to include broader religious representation and bequeaths his personal library to the College.